Change Location × Allentown

    Recent Locations

      Shimmy Like A Nupe | Student Activities in Bethlehem


      • Shimmy Like A Nupe | Student Activities Photo #1
      1 of 1
      November 11, 2017

      Saturday   7:00 PM

      27 Memorial Dr
      Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015

      Map
      Performers:
      • No Performers Listed
      EVENT DETAILS
      Shimmy Like A Nupe | Student Activities

      We plan to host this program on November 11, 2017 on Lehigh’s campus. The performance of this program will consist of teams performing 2-3 strolls emulating the Kappas’ signature dances. There will be judges to rank the teams and grant the prizes. We understand this program has the capability to be a large, yet successful, event. We are reaching out to you in hopes that you can help support this year’s effort of community service, community outreach, and bridging the gap between both our communities. In this packet we have highlighted for you the specific budget breakdown for our Shimmy Like a Kappa event. We hope to gain the support of the campus in order to make this event a success. Please consider becoming a partner on this project to make a lasting impact on this community. 

      Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated was founded on the campus of Indiana University on January 5, 1911. The Fraternity's fundamental purpose is achievement. Early in the 20th century, African-American students were actively dissuaded from attending college. Formidable obstacles were erected to prevent the few who were enrolled from assimilating into co-curricular campus life. This ostracism characterized Indiana University in 1911, thus causing Elder W. Diggs, Byron K. Armstrong, and eight other black students to form Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, which remains the only Greek letter organization with its first Chapter on the University's campus. The founders sought a formula that would immediately raise the sights of black collegians and stimulate them to accomplishments higher than they might have imagined. Fashioning achievement as its purpose, Kappa Alpha Psi began uniting college men with culture, patriotism, and honor in a bond of fraternity.

      While on Lehigh’s campus, Kappa Alpha Psi strides to organize two weeks throughout the academic school year to celebrate their organization and bring the community together through various events that focus on intellectual, leadership, and community development. This year we are hoping to organize a charity program to end our 2014 Fall Kappa Week. Shimmy Like a Kappa (SLAK) is a fundraising event being held at Lehigh University in order to raise awareness and money for a cause of the winning teams’ choosing. This event will also serve as a social competition to enhance social life and promote unity among Lehigh students. 55% of the proceeds will go to the winning teams’ philanthropy, while the remaining 45% will be used to continue to support Kappa Alpha Psi by making it possible to continue providing community-building events such as this one. SLAK will be open to Lehigh University and schools in the LVIAC area. The charge at the door will be $2 through Venmo and GoldPlus.

      Host Organization: Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated

      Lamberton Hall

      Categories: Fundraising & Charity | University & Alumni

      Event details may change at any time, always check with the event organizer when planning to attend this event or purchase tickets.
      COMMENTS ABOUT Shimmy Like A Nupe | Student Activities